Monday, August 25, 2014

America's Best Idea!

Happy 98th Anniversary National Park Service!

Today, August 25, 2014 is the 98th Anniversary of the National Park Service.  Randy and I have been riding together since 1999 and in 15 short years, we've been lucky to visit many of our National Parks, especially those in the western states. We have an annual parks pass that gets both our bikes in for a mere $80. If you're 62 years young, a Senior Pass is only $10! I'm excited to have that discount to look forward too!


My very first visit to Yellowstone was on the back of Randy's bike and we created amazing memories that weekend. 

 I was, and still am in awe of Yellowstone's grandeur. Yellowstone is our first National Park, established in 1872, followed by Yosemite and Sequoia.

The gang in 2013 near Mammoth, Yellowstone
I rode my own bike through Yellowstone, in 2011 and in 2013 and although I've been there several times, both in summer and winter, I am never bored. It is always remarkable to see Old Faithful, majestic waterfalls, the hot sulfur pools, and of course, elk, buffalo and the occasional bear!    

Randy & I in 2011 at one of Yellowstone's Hot Springs


In 2002, on our winter ride in Yellowstone - note the Buffalo!


Utah is home to five parks, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef and Canyonlands. We've ridden in all of them and a visit to Utah should be on everyone's bucket list!  




Wilson Arch near Arches National Park
Deadhorse Point, near Canyonlands National Park

Just a couple of weeks ago, I rode to Jackson Hole, stayed at Teton Village and was in eyesight of Grand Teton National Park. The Tetons are spectacular in every season!

The impressive Tetons, image by Dan Ballard 

Google, "top 10 motorcycle rides" and you'll find Glacier National Park and the Going to the Sun Road in Montana listed at about #5.  This road is on every motorcyclists bucket list.   Twice, I've been a passenger on that road and it is grand! Years ago, we even stayed in the Historic Lodge at Glacier which was memorable. Someday I want to stay at the lodge at Lake Mary which is incredible. I would love to ride my own on the Going to Sun Road, but with my fear of heights, I'm not sure I'll do this road!  
Glacier - image by Catpatches and note the worker by the arrow! 

Going to the Sun Road by Becky Lomas 

Rocky Mountain National Park - Gorgeous!
My first big solo Harley ride, in 2007, was through Rocky Mountain National Park. I was new rider, and I rode in the rain, thunder, lightening, sleet and snow on the highest continuously paved road in America.  This park is home to thousands of elk, and you can spot huge herds and see alpine lakes from the many vistas. 

I was terrified but I did it! This Park, was a huge confidence builder for me. Contrast that to my recent experience in Death Valley April 2014. We rode below sea level, in 97 degree heat, a dust storm, freezing cold and as an experienced rider, it was a thrilling ride. It's just not one I will repeat again. (see my blog post on Death Valley) Both experiences showcase the diversity in our National Parks.



My first solo ride took me to
Rocky Mountain National Park - 2007 
2011 with the Sparrows & Ireland's
at the top of Rocky Mountain National Park
Rocky Mountain National Park 2013
2014 - with the boys, Richard, Ed & Randy at Death Valley

Just a little History: National Park Service & Foundation
Established in 1916, the National Park Service was created to care for all of the national parks throughout the country. Each park represents an important part of our collective identity. Some parks commemorate notable people and achievements, others conserve magnificent landscapes and natural wonders, and all provide a place to have fun and learn.

The extraordinary mission of the National Park Service extends even further than the parks, however. The work of NPS reaches into communities across the country where they work with partners to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities that revitalize neighborhoods and enhance the quality of life.


There is much National Park information on these 2 sites:

  • National Park Foundation is at www.nationalparks.org
  • National Park Service can be found at www.nps.gov

I also recommend watching Ken Burn's "America's Best Idea".  It's a fascinating look at the history of our National Parks.  It's several DVD's and it's great for a rainy weekend marathon. I've watched it a couple of times and always learn something new.

Everybody need beauty as well as bread,
a place to play in where Nature may heal and cheer and 
give strength to body and soul alike.... John Muir 


100th Anniversary Bucket List
Riding the National Parks are part of every motorcyclist's history or on their bucket list. The NPS will be celebrating the 100th anniversary starting in 2015 through 2016 with the official anniversary on August 25, 2016. In honor of the Anniversary, we're planning a ride (or rides) to as many National Parks as possible; hoping to ride through the parks we haven't visited and revisit all the parks that are in or close to Utah.

As Americans we should be grateful for our National Parks. In this day when our cities are growing rapidly and our population is booming, it's good to remember that open space is good for our soul. The Nationals Parks are a tribute to the beauty that America offers.

The National parks are part of my history, not just on a motorcycle but family trips to Yosemite, my honeymoon in Alaska, and visiting Arches with my sister and mom. In 2006 I visited Denali with my sister, Jenn while she was a resident of Alaska and felt the joy of seeing Mt. McKinley or Denali without cloud cover; a rare experience! I've never visited a National Park without leaving feeling inspired, grateful and more peaceful.


Our Honeymoon - Glacier Bay National Park - 2003

What National Parks are on your bucket list? 

 How will you celebrate the 100th Anniversary of our National Parks? 

On the 98th Anniversary of  the National Park Service, it's not too early to start planning your journey through America's Best Idea!



No comments:

Post a Comment