Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sturgis!

Richard & Randy Sturgis or Bust 2014
We've been home almost 2 months and it's been over a month since my last post! After writing about our trip, I guess I needed a break and time to figure out a new routine. 

Even after a cross country ride, Randy hit the road with his buddies, Richard & Kevin and headed to Sturgis. the  biggest bike rally ever! As much as I love riding, I decided to stay home this time. Next year, Sturgis' 75th Anniversary - I will be there!

The boys (Kevin, Richard and Randy) rode home this past weekend and had an amazing time in spite of the rainy weather.  In Sturgis, you have to be prepared for anything - heat, cold, wind, rain and even hail!   It was Richard's first visit and all he could say was "it was interesting".  

Interesting? What does that mean?  I thought I'd share a little of the Sturgis Rally with you, starting with photos from my first visit.  Keep in mind, I'm writing from my own perspective.  Just like riding, everyone has their own opinion about Sturgis.  


For 11 months of the year, Sturgis is a sleepy little town in South Dakota near Rapid City.  However for one week in August it becomes the STURGIS MOTORCYCLE RALLY with over 500,000 people attending each year!


Sturgis 2001 - early biker chick days! 
My first visit to Sturgis was in 2001.  I've attended the Rally a total of 7 times and twice have ridden my own bike.

Randy has attended at least 20 times and now goes every year without fail.  I don't think he's missed the Rally since 2003 and that's only because we got married that year!  In 2009 he left my sisters wedding in the middle of the reception to head to Sturgis! For the record, that's one time I was really ticked off at Randy for the timing of his Sturgis departure.

In 2010, he arrived home from Sturgis, just in time for us to jump on a plane to Austria for our friend's wedding.  At least he made it home in time to pack.  Motorcycling is in his blood and the Rally is part of his fuel and his persona.  Even his license plate on his truck is "LIVE2RDE".

From my perspective, Sturgis is like spring break for grownups. Most adults attending put away the trappings of their conventional lives and let their inner biker out!  Inhibitions are shed and it becomes one big party and not always in a good way.  I'm not going to write much about that, you can google "Sturgis Bike Rally" and find out all the crazy, sordid details!  There's even been a couple of reality shows that show the experience pretty well.

Perfectly describes how people
feel about trailers @ Sturgis
I have a love/hate relationship with Sturgis.  I get tired of the Rally because I don't like the camping, the inexperience riders, the idiots and spring break mentality.

I also don't like all the cars and trailers that are now there.  Its amazing how many people don't even ride their bikes to the Rally, they bring them on trailers or in motorhomes.  There are thousands of them.  I'm not critical of those who have trailers, we have one. There are many reasons to trailer your bike. Many people come from thousands of miles away, have limited vacation time or have health reasons that might limit their ability.  But it's not unusual to see trailers from very close areas like, Nebraska, South Dakota or Montana licenses plates.  At a rally all about motorcycles and riding, it seems silly not to "ride in".  Even when we trailer-ed our bikes to Daytona Bike Week, we parked it in Atlanta and rode the 450 miles to Daytona. Rallies are about riding, not trailering!

I do love the excitement of seeing and hearing Main Street roar with bikes and now as a rider, it's wild to ride down Main Street!  The camaraderie that comes with being around thousands of bikers is thrilling.  The party atmosphere can be a blast and the concerts are incredible. Even with the "spring break mentality" most people don't push it to the edge - they are just having a great time, living it up and enjoying their vacation.  When I look past the craziness, most everyone is just like us. 
A great view of Sturgis Main Street
People and bike watching is phenomenal!  Everywhere you turn is something or someone interesting to look at that either makes you laugh out loud or say "what the hell was that?".   The cool thing about Harley's is that you can customize your bike and you'll rarely find identical bikes.  The customization that occurs to bikes will blow your mind.  Motorcycles are works of art - gorgeous, unusual, incredible and just like exquisite works of art...they are thought provoking as well.  

The rear wheel is incredible!  
Me & Randy, Sturgis 2013

The Rally itself is motorcycle shopping mecca!  Anything you need for your bike or riding is at Sturgis.  There are literally thousands of booths in a 75  mile radius selling bikes, tires, seats, horns, electronics, accessories, trinkets, tshirts, jewelry, boots, patches, pin-striping, painting and virtually anything made of chrome and leather. You can also get your bike washed by pretty girls in bikinis. For the first time ever, I saw men excited about "shopping".

If you're so inclined you'll also find fortune tellers, tattoo artists, body piercing and you can even have your body airbrushed. (please note, that I haven't done any of those things at Sturgis!) 
'
Every brand of motorcycle is represented and you can test ride most of them. That's how I found my 2012 CVO Softail Convertible...at the Rally.  Walked by it...fell in love, test rode it and six months later it was mine.  At the end of my test ride, I rode by Randy and friends and yelled "I love this bike".  In 2006, I rode my very first Harley, a Softail Deluxe at the Harley Demo Rides.  My ride was exhilarating and the very next year I was the proud owner of a brand new 2007 Softail Deluxe! 
2011 - My CVO  looking gorgeous! 
I love this bike!
Rocky Mt. Nat'l Park - with my brand new 2007 Deluxe!

2013 - Randy test riding the new Indian
2013 -Meeting the great Willie G!
The best part about any Rally including Sturgis (aside from the amazing riding) is fun people you meet.  It doesn't matter what you do for a living; what matters is that you ride.  Conversations are always about where you rode from or what you ride and what is your most favorite rides.  In 2013, on the Mayor's Ride I met the Mayor of Sturgis and the Governor of South Dakota!  We also met Willie G. Davidson, the co-founder's grandson, Chief HD Designer and now HD Ambassador.  Randy and I have met him twice and it's always a thrill!
Staying at the Rally is challenging at best. Most people camp because the hotels, motels and cabins and house are expensive!  Way overpriced.  I've camped at once at Glencoe and 5 times at the Buffalo Chip and I'll never do that again.  Horrible experience that would take an entire post to explain so I'm not!  This year, even the boys said they won't go back to the Chip, so it must be bad!
We're smiling because we're leaving the Chip!

Camping at Buffalo Chip with Kevin & Becky
In 2013 we discovered Shade Valley Campground and that was fabulous indoor camping experience!  Clean cabins, showers and bathrooms.  Our cabin even had air conditioning, a microwave and a coffee pot.  Although Randy called our cabin a "tough shed"   Becky and I almost felt like we were at the Ritz or at least a Motel 6.  At Sturgis, it's the little things that matter, quiet night, a comfortable bed, clean shower and morning coffee; all make for a very happy harley gurls! 
2013- home sweet home...our tough shed

Example of Sturgis Stupidity
Even at Shade Valley, people can be stupid. This flyer was hanging in the women's shower house.  I shouldn't be shocked that grown adults need to be told to keep their motorcycles out of the human showers.  


2013 - Mt. Rushmore in the background
Although Sturgis Rally is somewhat the same year to year which can be boring, the experience of riding through amazing country is incredible.   We've enjoyed and experienced Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, Spearfish Canyon, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse, Keystone and Deadwood. 

One year, we rode to the  Badlands and Wall Drug on the hottest day ever and that trip was by far, the hottest I've ever been.  Arriving at the Badlands Visitor Center, I ran to the restroom, stripped off my shirt, soaked it in water and wore it wet.  The need to cool off was overwhelming. 

The ride to and from Sturgis is worth it as well.  We've visited Teton Village, the Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, Cody, Yellowstone, Red Lodge, Bear Tooth Highway,  Chief Joseph Highway, the Big Horn Mountains,  Rocky Mountain National Park and Steamboat Springs.  Truly spectacular!
2014 - Devil's Tower 
2011 - I made it to Big Horn - look how high!
2014 - Randy, Richard & Kevin  - Devils Tower

2013 - A construction stop on Bear Tooth Pass
The gang... 2103 Yellowstone

Most attendees are men and even in our group it's usually just me with the boys.  I've been lucky to attend twice with Becky which was great and we had tons of fun together.
2013 - me, Randy, Becky & Kevin...Good Times!
Every year I see more and more women either riding their own or passenger also know as "hubby huggers".    It's exciting to see more women riding!  


Looking good in my new shirt - love it!
This year, Randy surprised me with a shirt from the Steel Horse Sisterhood, a women's riding network dedicated to empowering women who ride. Randy met the founder, Joan Krenning and knew that I should connect with her.  Randy had no idea that I already knew about Steel Horse Sisterhood or that I'm planning on attending the SHS Summit next year.  I was thrilled with my shirt and even more so because I'm already facebook friends with Joan and follow the group on facebook.  Good Karma through Facebook.  

Next year, I hope to participate in the Motor Maids and Sturgis Belles rides and meet up with other women riders that I've met through facebook.  


So Randy and his buddies have another year of Sturgis under their belts.  Now that I'm riding better and have more confidence in my abilities, I'm looking forward to next year's Rally.  It's the 75th Anniversary and it is sure to be packed!   Maybe I'll be a little more adventurous and have some body painting done?  mmm... those of you that know me well, know that will NEVER happen!    That's one journey that this HappyHarleyGurl won't take!  



2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean in regard to rallies. Last year I went to Sturgis the week before the rally began. Fewer crowds, vendors were already set up so we could get merch, and still same beautiful scenery. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melinda! I've never been up there before or after the Rally but I think it would be fun to see Sturgis just as a "regular" town. The riding up there is amazing! We have always enjoyed our rides up there! I know 2015 will be crowded but Im still looking forward to going.

      Delete