Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Life Filled with Adventure & Love

Today is Sunday, June 8 and we're in Ouray, Colorado. I woke up early this morning, am enjoying the beautiful mountain view from our hotel and my morning coffee. I love the Rocky Mountains.


Funny, as happy as I am to go home, I find myself, a little melancholy because our Coast to Coast journey is coming to an end. We left Salt Lake City on Thursday April 24 and today we ride home. We've covered 20 states, visited friends and family, made new friends, experienced extreme cold and hot weather, road over 9000 miles, and created millions (yes, millions) of memories. It's been a wild ride!

On the road, we've met lots of people who have said to us "you're so lucky, you're living the dream". Well, "living the dream", isn't always what it's cracked up to be. During this trip I couldn't just be free and on vacation, not with the uncertainty of our future hanging over us. Those of you that know me well, know I worry about everything and while on my bike I've had plenty of quiet time to think. Also, traveling by bike and living out of a T-bag is hard work. I've hated and loved being on the road and I'm confident that Randy has loved every minute of being on the road.

However putting aside all negativity, I can't believe we are on this amazing road trip. Knowing today is our last road day, I still can't get my head wrapped around everything we've seen and experienced. I feel lucky to have been given this opportunity to go on this "once of a lifetime" adventure. More importantly, I'm not alone in this crazy ride. Over the last 6 weeks, Randy and I have spent virtually 24/7 together; we survived and we are stronger! With all his quirks, I'm madly in love with the "wild one" and I know he loves me, even with all my quirks.

We're going home still uncertain about our future but we'll tackle it together. We have come up with a few thoughts and ideas and it's exciting to realize that we can do anything we want. Thrilling and terrifying all at the same time.

Our goal on this trip was to figure out our future. Although I miss our chaotic life, what we're going to next is make changes so that we don't create the same crazy life all over again. The "road trip" part of our "coast to coast" journey is over, but our adventure continues. Our next quest in our journey is to learn how to make a life that is simpler, meaningful, filled with adventure and love; which is what we promised each other when we got married.

Maya Angelou says it best:

"I've learned that making a living, is not the same as making a life"

Time to go home and make a life.





No comments:

Post a Comment