Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Screaming for Ice Cream in Cookeville

We're in Austin, Texas today (June 4) at the Cowboy Harley Davidson servicing our bikes again. A week ago around May 26 we were in Cookeville, Tennessee for the Tennessee State HOG (Harley Owners Group) Rally.

After checking into our hotel we ventured out to explore Downtown Cookeville. It's a typical small downtown, quaint, lots of brick buildings and a historic train stations.

The train station was cool and there was even a brick making machine which only made one brick at a time. Randy tested out, because he's still deciding on his next venture. We decide that perhaps brick making wasn't for him.







There were lots of restored buildings, housing shops and office space. "The Della Ateliers" would be perfect for a beer or wine tasting venue. It's was sleek and attractive and the restoration was incredible.

But what immediately caught my eye was a huge vintage neon sign "Cream City, Ice Cream" with an arrow. Randy completely missed it but since I love ice cream I was magnetically pulled toward it.






We didn't get to see the sign at night but I found a great photo online. I think it's beautiful. We learned that it was erected in 1950, and it was the largest neon sign between Nashville and Knoxville. People came from far and wide to see it and I'm sure have ice cream! Drive all that way just to look at a sign and miss ice cream. No way!


After our quick tour of the historic Train Station, I convince Randy that I'd rather have ice cream than lunch and he reluctantly agreed. However, I wasn't going to indulge if it was Dryers or Blue Bunny. I wanted homemade and Cream City didn't disappoint me. It's a small ice cream shop that sells hand made ice cream made for them in Nashville. (Nashville's a couple of hours away). Most of their flavors are made just for them. So far, so good.

I lingered over the ice cream counter having a hard time choosing from the 20-25 different flavors. I tried the Pralines and Cream which was delicious but then coconut (my favorite) caught my eye. This wasn't just coconut, it was fresh and toasted combined together in creamy vanilla. That was it for me and combined it with a rich dark fudge chocolate swirl creating a frozen version of a "Mounds" candy bar - my favorite.

Randy with his aversion to chocolate, searched for something simple and with fruit. He select a rich berry sorbet with creamy vanilla.

We stayed in the cool ice cream parlor enjoying our double scoop cones just like kids. It was a perfect summer respite and since it was Memorial Day, it was a fun way to begin our summer.



















The decor was comfortable and cute but we really liked the art work and snapped a picture. Being on this amazing journey of ours, the saying describes what we have always know, but rarely live.

"There's a lot more 2LIVING than just taking breaths" We also had our photo taken of us, in front of the sign, with our ice cream cones. Look at our smiles! I'm not sure if were joyous, because we're anticipating our yummy ice cream or because our journey is helping us figure out our life and that sign reminded us what we're doing on this adventure. be.






No comments:

Post a Comment