Thursday, June 5, 2014

Memphis BBQ at Ray's Famous BBQ

Even though we bypassed Memphis, we still had to eat and Memphis BBQ was on our menu that day.

Using his trusty GPS and not YELP, Randy found "Ray's Famous BBQ". Like a good rider, I followed my road captain right past Ray's . It was was located in an industrial area, in the middle of nowhere and I had no idea that was our lunch destination.

We regrouped about a 1/2 mile away, circled back to Ray's. The door was open, but there weren't any cars in the parking lot. Perhaps we missed the lunch rush? The door was open, and although the sign said "closed" we ventured in. Ray met us at the door, ushered us to the counter and we were the only customers.






We think this is his smokehouse. The truck below doesn't deliver anymore, check out the flat tire...it looked like it's been flat a very long time.



Randy ordered rib tips and I ordered baby backs both with cole slaw and tea. We got the right meat, however it was with potato salad and they were out of tea. The soda fountain only served water so Randy had water but I grabbed a canned coke out of the refrigerator.

Rays has been a fixture in Memphis forever. It's located off the freeway, in an industrial area. There's probably 6 tables, seating 4 each and the tables are covered with plastic tablecloths, that I'm sure have been there for years. Ray himself served us, and he ate his lunch at a table close by. We did learn that they were closed that day, but since the door was open, he serves people who come in. While we were there, another guy came in for a to-go order.

Rays is a little dumpy, looks kinda dirty, but it's filled with certificates and accolades honoring Ray. There was a broken 1950's style juke box on the wall, a broken down air conditioner and lots of old memorabilia and posters on the wall. Ray said that they are only open 3 days a week in the summer cause it's too hot inside. Perhaps if he got the air conditioner fixed, it would be ok inside.



Although I can't believe we actually ate there, our ribs were really good, I just tried not to think about my surroundings. I didn't dare use the bathroom!

Randy was pretty happy that he had his Memphis BBQ but I'm not sure I'll let him pick another restaurant only using his GPS.


Ray was a nice guy and seemed genuinely concerned that we were OK with our meal. I think Ray's is best enjoyed as a to-go order, pick up great ribs and go home and eat them in the comfort of your own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment